San Pedro - A Whale of a Town

Home

American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial

Angel's Gate Lighthouse

Angel's Gate Recreation Center

The Arcade Building

Assistance League of San Pedro Post Office

Averill Park

Banning Residence Museum

(Old) Beacon Street Fountain

Bogdanovich Park

Cabrillo Beach

Cabrillo Beach Bathhouse

Cabrillo Marina

Cabrillo Marine Aquarium

Danish Castle

Dodson House

Drum Barracks Civil War Museum

Fireboat #2

Fishing Industry Memorial

Fishermen's Wharf

Fort MacArthur

Fort MacArthur Military Museum

Friendship Park

Harbor View House

Harbor View Cemetery

Korean Bell

Maritime Museum

Marine Mammal Care Center

Muller House Museum

Old St. Peter's Episcopal Church

Old San Pedro

Peck House

Point Fermin Lighthouse

Point Fermin Park

Point Vicente Interpretive Center

Point Vicente Lighthouse

Ports O' Call Village

Post Office

Royal Palms State Beach

SS Lane Victory

South Coast Botanic Garden

Sportswalk

The Trolley

22nd Street Landing

U.S.S. Los Angeles Naval Memorial

Vincent Thomas Bridge

Warner Grand Theatre

Wayfarers Chapel

Worldport LA

Y.W.C.A.

Return to Interactive Map

Home

Harbor View House
(formerly the ARMY and NAVY Y.M.C.A.)
Harbor View House, San Pedro, CA

In 1919, when the San Pedro Y.M.C.A. was founded, its mission was to provide athletic and social activities for the Army personnel at Fort MacArthur. By 1926, with the construction of an additional breakwater allowing more Navy ships to anchor in San Pedro bay, the small frame building on North Harbor Boulevard was no longer adequate. The new facility, a five-story Spanish Colonial Revival style structure on the bluff overlooking the harbor's main channel, was known as the Army and Navy Y.M.C.A. With 300 dormitory rooms, a gymnasium, running track, banquet room, patio, pool, boxing and wrestling rooms and a coffee shop, the Y.M.C.A. was a hub of activity. During World War II, it provided recreation and temporary quarters for over four million men. Celebrities such as Bob Hope and Lucille Ball stopped to entertain on their way overseas. In 1947, the Y.M.C.A. changed to a "civilian" organization, and dormitory rooms began to be booked by young travelers and senior citizens. In 1958, the Y.M.C.A. moved to its present facility. The Beacon Street building was purchased in 1967 for use as temporary housing for the homeless mentally ill, and is now known as Harbor View House.

Harbor View House
921 S. Beacon Street
San Pedro 90731


Driving Directions

City:


Loading...
Check in:


Check out:


Rooms:


Return to the Top of This Page
Return to SanPedro.com Home Page
Text courtesy of the San Pedro Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Photo courtesy of Lily Ann Designs
©1996 - 2013

Book Your Hotel Here Now!