|The construction sequence on a typical Liberty Ship. Fifth Day at Outfitting Dock.
The ship in the foreground is the Mary M. Dodge, hull number 2138 and type EC2-S-C1. Her keel was laid in Permanente Metals Richmond, CA, Yard 2 on August 4, 1943. She was launched on August 25, 1943 and delivered on September 5, 1943. The Mary M. Dodge was 21 days on the Ways, 11 days in the Water and 32 days to Delivery. After delivery to the WSA, she was operated by the South Atlantic SS Line, Savannah. In 1947, the Mary M. Dodge was transfered to the Netherlands government and renamed the Molengraaf. She was registered under the Netherlands flag. She was renamed again in 1947 as the Prins Willem II. In 1953, she was renamed the Dayrose and registered under the British flag. 1956 brought a new name, the Areti S and a Liberian registry. In 1963 she was renamed the Dimos and sailed under a Lebanese flag. she was scrapped in 1969 at Whampoa, China.
The Liberty Ship in the background is the Emile Berliner, hull number 2139 and type EC2-S-C1. Her keel was laid in Permanente Metals Richmond, CA, Yard 2 on August 6, 1943. She was launched on August 28, 1943 and delivered on September 6, 1943. TheEmile Berliner was 22 days on the Ways, 9 days in the Water and 31 days to Delivery. After delivery to the WSA, she was operated by the United Fruit Company. The ship was sold in 1947 to the Helsingfors SS Company and renamed the Frostvik. She sailed under a Finnish Flag. In 1950, the ship was renamed the Arneta and in 1963, renamed the Susan Paulin. still sailing under the Finnish flag. In 1965, the ship was renamed the Kyra and was registered under a Liberian flag. She was scrapped in Bilbao, Spain in 1969.