|The construction sequence on a typical Liberty Ship. Second Day at Outfitting Dock.
The Liberty Ship in the foreground is the Emile Berliner, hull number 2139 and type EC2-S-C1. Her keel was laid in Permanente Metals Richmond, CA, Yard 2 on August 6, 1943. She was launched on August 28, 1943 and delivered on September 6, 1943. TheEmile Berliner was 22 days on the Ways, 9 days in the Water and 31 days to Delivery. After delivery to the WSA, she was operated by the United Fruit Company. The ship was sold in 1947 to the Helsingfors SS Company and renamed the Frostvik. She sailed under a Finnish Flag. In 1950, the ship was renamed the Arneta and in 1963, renamed the Susan Paulin. still sailing under the Finnish flag. In 1965, the ship was renamed the Kyra and was registered under a Liberian flag. She was scrapped in Bilbao, Spain in 1969.
The second Liberty ship in the background is the John Colter, hull number 2137 and type EC2-S-C1. Her keel was laid in Permanente Metals Richmond, CA, Yard 2 on July 2, 1943. She was launched on July 24, 1943 and delivered on September 4, 1943. The John Colter was 22 days on the Ways, 9 days in the Water and 31 days to Delivery. After delivery to the WSA, she was operated by Norton Lilly Management Co, NY. In 1946, the ship was transferred to the French government and she was renamed the Briancon. The ship was renamed again in 1960 as the Zephyros and registered under the Lebanese flag. The ship's name was changed again in 1966 to the Sailor Star. She was scrapped in Shanghai, China in 1967.