|The Victory Ship in the photo below is the Ethiopia Victory. TheEthiopia Victory was built in Yard No. 1 of Kaiser's Permanente Metals Richmond, California Yards. It's hull number was 526. The Ethiopia Victory was laid down on January 20, 1944 and was launched on April 20, 1944. The Ethiopia Victory was delivered to the U.S. Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration on July 17, 1944 for operation by Agwilines (Atlantic, Gulf & West Indies Steamship Lines).
The Ethiopia Victory was laid up in reserve after World War II was over. The Ethiopia Victory was was transferred to the Navy on August 13, 1964 and taken to the Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion. On May 22, 1965, she was renamed Victoria and classified as T-AK-281. She was to provide complete logistics services to a deployed FBM tender. One of her holds was modified to carry missiles in an upright position. In addition, she could carry refrigerated provisions, submarine torpedoes, spare parts, and fuel. She provided support services for the advanced FBM bases at Holy Loch and Rota
In October 1965, the Victoria entered service with the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS). She operated with MSTS until that agency became the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on August 1, 1970.
The Victoria was struck from the Naval Register on March 3, 1986 and was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James River, Fort Eustis, Virginia.
The ship was disposed of by MARAD exchange on August 30, 1987 and was scrapped at Kaohsiung, Taiwan the same year.